Dental Implants: How To Regain Your Confidence
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth replacement that can be permanently fixated within the mouth. The dental implant serves not only as the tooth, but as the root within the gum as well.
This gives the implant much more structural integrity, allowing it to function more similarly to an actual tooth. Dental implants are thus a preferred method for tooth replacement for many patients.
How do dental implants work?
Dental implants are comprised of three parts that come together to form the artificial tooth and root.
The main three parts of the implant are:
- The Implant, or Root: The actual implant part of the appliance is a screw-like piece that is surgically inserted into the gums. Once inserted, the implant serves as a base for the abutment and crown.
- The Abutment: The abutment is the piece that attaches to the implant and the artificial tooth, acting as the connector between the two. Abutments can last a long time but are replaceable if need be.
- The Crown: The final piece of a completed dental implant is the artificial tooth. This piece is typically made of porcelain and is designed to match a patient’s other healthy and natural teeth. This allows the implant to blend into your smile seamlessly.
Benefits of dental implants
- Structurally sound solution for replacing missing teeth
- Helps to support the structural integrity of the surrounding teeth as well
- Aides in preventing dental issues that can arise from missing teeth, such as bone loss
- Functionality of a natural and healthy tooth.
Heritage Dental services families in Carleton Place and the surrounding communities of Smiths Falls, Perth, and Almonte. For more information on dental implants, contact us today to request an appointment!